hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Thinking ahead to 2.4
Date Sat, 15 Feb 2014 22:59:45 GMT
Folks,

 With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to hadoop-2.4. I think it was
a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we finished up pieces that didn't make it in
such as HDFS Caching & Support for Heterogenous Storage.

 Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover (YARN-149), Application
History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline Server (YARN-1530) are either complete
or very close to done, and I think we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar
to what happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks of extended
testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.

 I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing. As such, I plan to
cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be good shape sometime to release 2.4
in mid-March.

 I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.

 Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to see in it. If we
continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out in April.

 Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--