hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Priorities and AMRMClientImpl
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:02:59 GMT
1. I was of the understanding that the priority field was unused in the RM
-which is why I (and no doubt others) have been using it as a place to add
information about a request -letting us tie back an allocation with a
priority. Am I wrong?

2. the AMRMClientImpl.addContainerRequest() method contains code that
verifies that you can't have any outstanding request with the same priority
and different strict/relaxed placement criter

    // check that specific and non-specific requests cannot be mixed within
    // priority
    checkLocalityRelaxationConflict(req.getPriority(), ANY_LIST,
        req.getRelaxLocality());

That's across requests.

What is the rationale for this? Should I not have the right to specify
specific locations for some requests, while issue some with relax=false,
especially as you cannot have relax=false if you don't specify any
destinations: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-1018

The result of the different checks means you cannot submit requests of the
same priority where some have a specified location and relax=false along
with requests of the same priority that don't have a location

Have I misread something here? Or is there some aspect of Priority that I
don't understand.

-steve

ps, please can we have a int field purely for the caller to make user of?

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE