hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From hilfi alkaff <hilfialk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Node scheduling in 2.1.x
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:52:45 GMT
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 5:08 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> On 6 September 2013 19:02, hilfi alkaff <hilfialkaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the replies. I think I have found the relevant codes that
> > would like to modify. That said, a project that I'm doing now requires
> > containers to have network bandwidth as one of its resources (In
> > Resource.java: it currently only models memory).
> >

> This is something that's been discussed before, IO bandwidth being the
> other constraint.
>

> Limits like this would most benefit mixed workload clusters, where what you
> are trying to limit is not the net & IO bandwidth a low-latency service
> ness, but the load the batch jobs place on the machines -it's not so much
> restrictions on the service bandwidth you want, but the ability to
> (dynamically?) throttle back the bandwidth that other containers are using.
>
> However, you need to take into account that a lot of network traffic is
> generated on off-host HDFS IO; throttle that back and your remote file IO
> will also be restricted. Local HDFS operations will not be restricted -even
> if you cgroup-limit your process- because that goes through the local
> Datanode.

I agree. I think this gets trickier especially with network resources since
the bottleneck of a host-host pair
can be influenced by another pair depending the network topology that
Hadoop is running on. I haven't found
a good way of abstracting the requirements for such kind of communication
yet. One thing that I can think about
is to have a user to be able to specify a guaranteed amount of bandwidth
during the shuffle phase which gets
tricky as I mentioned earlier.

> Since I'm planning to implement it anyway, I hope to be able to help
> > Hadoop's development. However, I could not find the relevant JIRA for
> this.
> > If you know of an existing ticket that is relevant to the aforementioned
> > issue, let me know. If there is none, should I make my changes first (as
> > listed http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute) and get back after
> > I'm done with my code?
> >

> These are pretty big changes, and doing it off on  your own and turning up
> with a big set of changes it's unlikely to get in, due to the intimacy of
> the changes across the codebase, and the fact that you don't yet have a
> track record of working in this area (to be fair, nobody would trust me to
> dabble in the scheduler either, even though I have the commit rights).
>
> This would have to be collaborative development process, where even if you
> do most of the coding of the feature and its test suite, you need to do it
> visibly, get feedback & act on it -starting with the design
>
> -we're obsessive about testing, so try and come up with a design for
> testing all this that would measure the effects of the throttling. You
> should also set up your own test infrastructure with Jenkins doing local
> tests of your branch, ideally with a pool of real/VM servers.
>
> -Having someone act as a mentor would help. I'm not going to volunteer, not
> only due to existing commitments, but because its not an area of my
> expertise.
>
> -before undertaking a big project, try to pick a few small (existing?)
> issues and go through the process of developing patches and nurturing them
> in.
>
> One thing I would like to see test-wise is something we can deploy on a
> YARN cluster to generate system load: net, IO, HDFS, CPU, etc. I'm doing
> something like this for Hoya [
> http://www.slideshare.net/steve_l/hoya-hbase-on-yarn-20130820-hbase-hug ],
> where I also want to simulate failures; if you want to help me with that
> it'd be appreciated. (If the net load can be generated between peer nodes,
> then you have a pretty good stress test of the network and a way of
> measuring its blsection bandwidth too, though for cluster standup it's best
> to use the standard unix tools for isolation of problems, and ease of
> comparison with other clusters.

Thanks for the advice. Sure, I will try to evaluate design-wise to tackle
the problem and see
if I could pick-off a more well-defined, existing issues in this area and
get back to the mailing list.

> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

~Hilfi Alkaff~