hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject Custom ApplicationMaster development
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 22:45:55 GMT
I am getting started with development of a custom ApplicationMaster and I didn't think that
the user@ list was quite the right place for it.  Apologies if this list isn't the right place
either.  Some of my questions are really newbie, like:

*         Is there an FAQ for non-MR YARN development?

*         Is there an FAQ for configuring/building/running Hadoop from source, preferably
in Eclipse?

*         What is the recommended configuration/environment for development of a YARN app?
 I would like to use Eclipse under Windows if that even makes any sense.

*         Would you start with a Hadoop release or build from version control?

*         Is it possible to code for compatibility between 2.0 and 0.23?

*         Is there an ApplicationMaster example that can be used as a starting point?
I also have some more in-depth questions:

*         When a MapReduce task creates its output files and makes them available over HTTP,
is it the NodeManager that serves them up?  If my YARN task wants to do something similar,
how does it tell the NodeManager?  How are the files removed later?

*         Is it possible to install objects or services that run as peers of the NodeManager
as opposed to tasks?  Are there any recommended per-node patterns as opposed to per-task patterns?

Thanks
John