hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 18:46:19 GMT

On Feb 1, 2013, at 2:34 AM, Tom White wrote:
> Whereas Arun is proposing
>
>  2.0.0-alpha, 2.0.1-alpha, 2.0.2-alpha, 2.1.0-alpha, 2.2.0-beta, 2.3.0
>
> and the casual observer might expect there to be a stable 2.0.1 (say)
> on seeing the existence of 2.0.2-alpha.
>
> The first three of these are already released, so I don't think we
> could switch to the Semantic Versioning scheme at this stage. We could
> for release 3 though.

I agree that would have been slightly better, unfortunately it's too late now - a new versioning
scheme would be even more confusing!

Would it better to have 2.0.3-alpha, 2.0.4-beta and then make 2.1 as a stable release? This
way we just have one series (2.0.x) which is not suitable for general consumption.

I'm ok either way, but I want to just make a decision and move on to making the release asap,
appreciate a quick resolution.

thanks,
Arun