hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Release numbering for branch-2 releases
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:12:11 GMT
Stack,

On Jan 30, 2013, at 9:25 PM, Stack wrote:

> I find the above opaque and written in a cryptic language that I might grok
> if I spent a day or two running over cited issues trying to make some
> distillation of the esotericia debated therein.  If you want feedback from
> other than the cognescenti, I would suggest a better summation of what all
> is involved.

I apologize if there was too much technical details.

The simplified version is that hadoop-2 isn't baked as it stands today, and is not viable
to be supported by this community in a stable manner. In particular, it is due to the move
to PB for HDFS protocols and the freshly minted YARN apis/protocols. As a result, we have
been forced to make (incompatible) changes in every hadoop-2 release so far (2.0.0, 2.0.2
etc.). Since we released the previous bits we have found security issues, bugs and other issues
which will cause long-term maintenance harm (details are in the HADOOP/HDFS/YARN jiras in
the original email).

My aim, as the RM, is to try nudge (nay, force) all contributors to spend time over the next
couple of months focussing on fixing known issues and to look for other surprises - this way
I hope to ensure we do not have further incompatible changes for downstream projects and we
can support hadoop-2 for at least a couple of years. I hope this makes sense to you. I don't
think turning around and calling these 3.x or 4.x makes things better since no amount of numbering
lipstick will make the software better or viable for the long-term for both users and other
projects. Worse, it will force HBase and other projects to deal with *even more* major Hadoop
releases... which seems like a royal pita.

I hope that clarifies things. Thanks Stack.

Arun