Ok I stand corrected.

That was for OpenSSL 1.1.0 and it might not even work for 1.1.1. The OpenSSL release version doesn't imply backward compatibility.
Would you please try it out and let me know if HADOOP-14597 works or not? If not we need to file a jira to track this because OpenSSL 1.1.0 has already EOL'd and we need to look into support 1.1.1 (another 4 years until EOL)
https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html