hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Marton, Elek" <...@anzix.net>
Subject Re: Hadoop "managed" setup basic question (Ambari, CDH?)
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 21:06:37 GMT

If you would like to do it in a more dynamic way you can also you
service registry/key-value stores.

For example the configuration could be stored in Consul and the servers
(namenode, datanode) could be started with consul-template
(https://github.com/hashicorp/consul-template)

In case of configuration change the servers will be refreshed and
restarted automatically.

Marton

ps: I use a very similar (but much more complex) approach when I run
Hadoop in the cloud.

1. I initialize the vm-s with Terraform

2. After that I install the basic infrastructure (eg. Consul, Nomad
servers and Weave scope monitoring) with ansible. Inventory file is
generated from the Terraform state file.

3. I start hadoop/namenode from docker. Containers are scheduled with
Nomad. (nomad definition: http://github.com/flokkr/runtime-nomad,
generic docs about containers: https://github.com/flokkr/flokkr)

4. Configuration is stored in a git repository
(https://github.com/flokkr/configuration) in a simplified format. During
a preprocessing step they are uploaded to the consul (in the final
form). And it supports specific profiles. For example I can switch
easily between HA or non-HA configuration just with one flag.

5. A consul-template like script (but more simple:
https://github.com/elek/consul-launcher) is part of my the docker images
(https://github.com/flokkr/docker-baseimage). They are listen on the
changes in consul and the servers will be restarted if the configuration
are changes.

There are many small pieces, so most probably it's a more complex
solution then what you need. But if you are familiar with the small
tools, it's not so hard the build some low-level (and lightening-fast)
configuration-management/service-registry solution with the existing
devops tools.