hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Bram Van Dam <bram.van...@intix.eu>
Subject HDFS: Confused about "immutability" wrt overwrites
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2017 07:23:13 GMT
Greetings,

I've been tinkering with HDFS, and I'm a bit confused about its alleged
immutability. Basically, according to the interwebz (and my
interpretation of the documentation), data in HDFS is immutable.

However, when I tell the HDFS Java client to overwrite an existing file
with garbage, it happily does so without complaining. That doesn't
really match my definition of immutability.

What I'm looking for is a way to allow users to create (and maybe append
to) files, but *prevent* them from updating/deleting/overwriting data.
One which isn't a client configuration option. Am I missing some kind of
configuration option which enables this sort of behaviour? Or am I
chasing a pipe dream?

Thanks,

 - Bram