hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Ravi Prakash <ravihad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lots of warning messages and exception in namenode logs
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2017 15:35:26 GMT
Hi Omprakash!

If both datanodes die at the same time, then yes, data will be lost. In
that case, you should increase dfs.replication to 3 (so that there will be
3 copies). This obviously adversely affects the total amount of data you
can store on HDFS.

However if only 1 datanode dies, the namenode notices that, and orders the
remaining replica to be replicated. The rate at which it orders
re-replication is determined by
dfs.namenode.replication.work.multiplier.per.iteration
and the number of nodes in your cluster. The more nodes you have in your
cluster (some companies run 1000s of nodes in 1 cluster), the faster the
lost replicas will be replicated. Let's say there were 2 million blocks on
each datanode, and you configured only 2 blocks to be re-replicated per
datanode heartbeat (usually 3 seconds). If there were 2 other datanodes, it
would take 2000000 / 2 * 3 seconds to re-replicate data. Ofcourse you can't
crank up the number of blocks re-replicated too high, because there's only
so much data that datanodes can transfer amongst themselves. You should
calculate how many blocks you have, how much bandwidth is available between
any two datanodes, how quickly you want replication (if your disks are only
re-replicating, jobs may not make progress), and set that configuration
accordingly. Depending on your datanode capacity it may take 1-2 days to
rereplicate all the data.

Also, I'd encourage you to read through more of the documentation
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsUserGuide.html
and become familiar with the system. There can be a *huge* difference
between a well-tuned Hadoop cluster and a poorly configured one.

HTH
Ravi

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 4:50 AM, omprakash <omprakashp@cdac.in> wrote:

> Hi Sidharth,
>

> Thanks a lot for the clarification. May you suggest parameters that can
> improve the re-replication in case of failure.
>

> Regards
>
> Om

Here is one of them.