hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: i686 support
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 19:42:09 GMT
Hello Christopher,

While 64-bit is certainly the common case at this point, we also have produced 32-bit builds
in the past.  I'm not aware of any conscious choice by the community to halt 32-bit support,
so if that's not working, then it might be a bug.  Do you have more details on the build failure?
 That might help us confirm if it's a bug, and if so, move to tracking it in an Apache JIRA.

--Chris Nauroth

From: Christopher <ctubbsii@apache.org<mailto:ctubbsii@apache.org>>
Date: Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: i686 support

Hi,

Is i686 a supported arch by the upstream Hadoop developers? I'm trying to package hadoop RPMs
for Fedora (reviving somebody else's previous efforts), and can't get things to build on i686.
Is this normal? Does upstream care about 32-bit users? What about release testing on i686?

I normally wouldn't care about 32-bit, but Fedora packaging standards encourage me to get
it to work for all core architectures supported by Fedora.

Has anybody else done any 32-bit packaging that could help me troubleshoot? I don't even own
32-bit hardware. (Even better if you want to help co-maintain Hadoop in Fedora.. that would
be awesome).