hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Mingyu Kim <m...@palantir.com>
Subject Re: Verifying the authenticity of submitted AM
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2016 20:14:13 GMT
Sorry for the late response. I finally caught up on most chapters on the gitbook you linked.
This was super helpful. Thanks for the pointer.

Just to make sure I understood it correctly,

1.       One can send a secret as a command-line argument or environment variable to the AM
securely by setting up Kerberos and setting hadoop.rpc.protection=privacy, because then the
application submission request blob will be sent to the node manager encrypted.

2.       A client outside YARN can make a REST call to AM and verify the identity of AM (assuming
the REST server is set up to use Kerberos) via SPNEGO.

3.       A REST server outside YARN can verify the identity of AM when AM makes a callback
via SPNEGO. However, the authenticity can be verified at the user identity level. For example,
if two applications are submitted under user A, one application can pretend to be the other
application because they are authenticated as a same user.

So, it sounds like if I’d like to verify the authenticity of a particular AM submitted as
opposed to relying on user-identity level authenticity check provided via SPNEGO, using the
option #1 to securely pass a one-time secret would be the right way to go. Please correct
me if any of my understanding is wrong.

Thanks,

Mingyu