hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Chathuri Wimalasena <kamalas...@gmail.com>
Subject Upgrading production hadoop system from 2.5.1 to 2.7.2
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2016 19:17:41 GMT
Hi,

We have a hadoop production deployment with 1 name node and 10 data nodes
which has more than 20TB of data in HDFS. We are currently using Hadoop
2.5.1 and we want to update it to latest Hadoop version, 2.7.2.

I followed the following link (
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsRollingUpgrade.html)
and updated a single node system running in pseudo distributed mode and it
went without any issues. But this system did not have that much data as the
production system.

Since this is a production system, I'm reluctant to do this update. I would
like to see what other people have done in these cases and their
experiences... Here are few questions I have..

   - When we upgrade, does it change the namenode data structures and data
   nodes? I assume it only changes the name node...
   - What are the risks with this upgrade ?
   - Is there a place where I can review the changes made to file system
   from 2.5.1 to 2.7.2?

I would really appreciate if you can share your experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Chathuri