hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Varun Saxena <vsaxena.va...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores vs yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-vcores
Date Sun, 23 Aug 2015 17:00:31 GMT
Hi Pedro,

Actual allocation would depend on the total resource capability advertised
by NM while registering with RM.

yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-vcores merely puts an upper cap on
number of vcores which can be allocated by RM i.e. any Resource
request/ask from AM which asks for vcores > 32(default value) for a
container, will be normalized back to 32.

If there is no such node available, this allocation will not be fulfilled.

yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-vcores will be configured in resource
manager and hence will be common for a cluster which can possibly have
multiple nodes with heterogeneous resource capabilities

yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores on the other hand will have to be
configured as per resource capability of that particular node.

Recently there has been work done to automatically get memory and CPU
information from underlying OS(supported OS being Linux and Windows) if
configured to do so. This change would be available in 2.8
I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Varun Saxena.