hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Thanh Hong Dai" <hdth...@tma.com.vn>
Subject RE: Documentation inconsistency about append write in HDFS
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2015 05:33:05 GMT
I have posted an issue on the bug tracker: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-8852

I’m not too familiar with the project, so I will leave it to more qualified people to do
it.

From: Ravi Prakash [mailto:ravihoo@ymail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 4 August, 2015 3:52 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Documentation inconsistency about append write in HDFS

Thanks Thanh! Yes! Could you please post a patch?

On Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:50 PM, Thanh Hong Dai <hdthanh@tma.com.vn <mailto:hdthanh@tma.com.vn>
> wrote:

In the latest version of the documentation (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current2/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HdfsDesign.html#Simple_Coherency_Model
and also documentation for version 2.x), it’s mentioned that “A file once created, written,
and closed need not be changed. “ and “There is a plan to support appending-writes to
files in the future.”

However, as far as I know, HDFS has supported append write since 0.21, based on this JIRA
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-265) and the old version of the documentation
in 2012 (https://web.archive.org/web/20121221171824/http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/hdfs/current/hdfs_design.html#Appending-Writes+and+File+Syncs)

Various posts on the Internet also suggests that append write has been available in HDFS,
and will always be available in Hadoop version 2 branch.

Can we update the documentation to reflect the most recent change? (Or will append write be
deprecated or is it not ready for production use?)