hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Anand Murali <anand_vi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop 2.6 issue
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2015 03:28:07 GMT
Ok. Many thanks shall try

Sent from my iPhone

> On 02-Apr-2015, at 7:48 am, Kumar Jayapal <kjayapal17@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> $which java
>
> make sure the paths are valid for your installation (change if using 32bit version):
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
>
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac
> Setup update-alternatives:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java"
1
> sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/javac" "javac" "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac"
1

> sudo update-alternatives --set java /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java
> sudo update-alternatives --set javac /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac
> Alternatively, make sure the correct version is checked for both Java and compiler:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config java
> sudo update-alternatives --config javac
> List the installed Java alternatives with:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --list java
> sudo update-alternatives --list javac
>
>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ravin.iitb@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Creating batch program will not have the same effect. If you put the variables in
/etc/environment then it will be available to all users on the operating system. HDFS doesn't
run with root privileges.
>> You need to open the application with sudo or with root privileges to modify it.
>> e.g. If you are using vi editor then its just sudo vim /etc/environment (similar,
if you are using other editors) and add environment variables there.

>>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Anand Murali <anand_vihar@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Mr. Ravindra:
>>>
>>> This is visible, however I am unable to modify it, eventhough I have admin priveleges.
I am new to the Linux environment. Shall be glad if you did advise. However, as I told you
earlier, I have created a batch program which contains, JAVA_HOME setting, HADOOP_INSTALL
setting and PATH setting. I have rfun this file but I am still unable to start the daemons.
I am following Tom Whyte's -Hadoop definitive Guide book instructions on how to install Hadoop.

>>> at $hadoop version works. I am able to format namenode, but fail to start daemons.
>>>
>>> Reply most welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Anand Murali
>>> 11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore
>>> Chennai - 600 004, India
>>> Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:04 PM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ravin.iitb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Are you sure that its not there, could you please check the output of this command
>>>
>>> ls /etc/env*
>>>

>>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Anand Murali <anand_vihar@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Mr. Ravindra:
>>>
>>> I am using Ubuntu 14. Can you please provide the full path. I am logged in as
root and it is not found in /etc. In any case what you have suggested I have tried creating
a batch file and it does not work in my installation.

>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Anand Murali
>>> 11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore
>>> Chennai - 600 004, India
>>> Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:50 PM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ravin.iitb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> I meant /etc/environment. It should be present if you are using Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ravindra
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM, Anand Murali <anand_vihar@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Mr. Ravindra
>>>
>>> I dont find any etc/environment. Can you be more specific please. I have done
whatever you are saying in a user created batch program and run it, followed by running hadoop-env.sh
and it still does not work.

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Anand Murali
>>> 11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore
>>> Chennai - 600 004, India
>>> Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:10 PM, Ravindra Kumar Naik <ravin.iitb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you are using Ubuntu then add these lines to /etc/environment
>>> JAVA_HOME=<actual path to jdk>
>>> PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:$JAVA_HOME/bin"
>>>
>>> Please put the actual path to JDK in the first line.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ravindra
>>>

>>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM, roland.depratti <roland.depratti@cox.net>
wrote:
>>> Anand,
>>>
>>> Sorry about that, I was assuming Redhat/Centos.
>>>
>>> For Ubuntu, try sudo update-alternatives --config java.
>>>

>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

JDK7. However I am ignorant regarding its installation on Ubuntu. Can you point me to installation
material so that I can look up and try.

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Anand Murali
>>> 11/7, 'Anand Vihar', Kandasamy St, Mylapore
>>> Chennai - 600 004, India
>>> Ph: (044)- 28474593/ 43526162 (voicemail)
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:33 PM, Roland DePratti <roland.depratti@cox.net>
wrote:

>>> Anand,
>>>
>>> My guess is that your alternatives setup isn’t complete.
>>>
>>> At a prompt, as su, run the command ‘alternatives - - config java’. Make
sure that the oracle version is listed and is marked as the active one.

>>> If it is not, go through the steps to make sure it is.
>>>
>>> -          rd

Strange !!