hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Aquilina <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net>
Subject Re: t2.micro on AWS; Is it enough for setting up Hadoop cluster ?
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2015 05:51:30 GMT

Hi guys I know you guys want to keep costs down, but why go through all
the effort to setup ec2 instances when you deploy EMR it takes the time
to provision and setup the ec2 instances for you. All configuration then
for the entire cluster is done on the master node of the particular
cluster or setting up of additional software that is all done through
the EMR console. We were doing some geospatial calculations and we
loaded a 3rd party jar file called esri into the EMR cluster. I then had
to pass a small bootstrap action (script) to have it distribute esri to
the entire cluster.

Why are you guys reinventing the wheel?

---
Regards,
Jonathan Aquilina
Founder Eagle Eye T

On 2015-03-06 03:35, Alexander Pivovarov wrote:

> I found the following solution to this problem
>
> I registered 2 subdomains (public and local) for each computer on https://freedns.afraid.org/subdomain/
[1]
> e.g.
> myhadoop-nn.crabdance.com [2]
> myhadoop-nn-local.crabdance.com [3]
> then I added cron job which sends http requests to update public and local ip on freedns
server hint: public ip is detected automatically ip address for local name can be set using
request parameter &address=10.x.x.x (don't forget to escape &)

> as a result my nn computer has 2 DNS names with currently assigned ip addresses , e.g.
> myhadoop-nn.crabdance.com [2] 54.203.181.177
> myhadoop-nn-local.crabdance.com [3] 10.220.149.103
>
> in hadoop configuration I can use local machine names to access my cluster outside of
AWS I can use public names

> Just curious if AWS provides easier way to name EC2 computers?
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Jonathan Aquilina <jaquilina@eagleeyet.net> wrote:
>
> I dont know how you would do that to be honest. With EMR you have destinctions master
core and task nodes. If you need to change configuration you just ssh into the EMR master
node.

> ---
> Regards,
> Jonathan Aquilina
> Founder Eagle Eye T
>
> On 2015-03-06 02:11, Alexander Pivovarov wrote:
>
> What is the easiest way to assign names to aws ec2 computers?
> I guess computer need static hostname and dns name before it can be used in hadoop cluster.

> On Mar 5, 2015 4:36 PM, "Jonathan Aquilina" <jaquilina@eagleeyet.net> wrote:
>
> When I started with EMR it was alot of testing and trial and error. HUE is already supported
as something that can be installed from the AWS console. What I need to know is if you need
this cluster on all the time or this is goign ot be what amazon call a transient cluster.
Meaning you fire it up run the job and tear it back down.

> ---
> Regards,
> Jonathan Aquilina
> Founder Eagle Eye T
>
> On 2015-03-06 01:10, Krish Donald wrote:
>
> Thanks Jonathan,
>
> I will try to explore EMR option also.
> Can you please let me know the configuration which you have used it?
> Can you please recommend for me also?
> I would like to setup Hadoop cluster using cloudera manager and then would like to do
below things:

> setup kerberos
> setup federation
> setup monitoring
> setup hadr
> backup and recovery
> authorization using sentry
> backup and recovery of individual componenets
> performamce tuning
> upgrade of cdh
> upgrade of CM
> Hue User Administration
> Spark
> Solr
>
> Thanks
> Krish
>
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Jonathan Aquilina <jaquilina@eagleeyet.net> wrote:
>
> krish EMR wont cost you much with all the testing and data we ran through the test systems
as well as the large amont of data when everythign was read we paid about 15.00 USD. I honestly
do not think that the specs there would be enough as java can be pretty ram hungry.

> ---
> Regards,
> Jonathan Aquilina
> Founder Eagle Eye T
>
> On 2015-03-06 00:41, Krish Donald wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am new to AWS and would like to setup Hadoop cluster using cloudera manager for 6-7
nodes.

> t2.micro on AWS; Is it enough for setting up Hadoop cluster ?
> I would like to use free service as of now.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks
> Krish

Links: