hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to this group.
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 20:19:21 GMT
So if I could propose something

If this is your desire, I would recommend something like a
»adminstration handbook for the "hadoop world"«.

I'm hoping that I'm not stepping on someones toes, but the documentation
for running clusters of different hadoop related systems of the
ecosystem could be better. As an example: Some parts of the hadoop
ecosystem highly depend on name resolution, thus it is very important to
know what you are doing with dns vs. /etc/hosts (dammit ubuntu for
127.0.1.1!!! *waving fist at canonical*) etc., but problems with name
resolution are not well covered in the documentation but just mentioned.
Another example would be the running of independent zoekeeper clusters
and integrating them into systems is not well covered. I'm always using
standard ports and hope for the best :/. All this "real world" stuff.

So a "cookbook" starting from zero to fancy cluster with hdfs, yarn,
hbase, storm, pig and phoenix (which should cover 95% of all users)
which cover not only the hadoop stuff but the other "administration"
concerns (dns, kerberos, rsync, firewall [bsds pf, linux' iptables])
would be great.

Furthermore hadoop clusters can be tweaked and the performance can be
improved drastically by good adminstration. If you would use example
applications (like "twitbase" from the book "hbase in action" which is
basically a twitter clone, or the weather data set stuff from "hadoop
def. guide") and tweak the cluster to top performance, so others could
look at the example applications and could use them as "schemes" for
their own purpose and could tweak the cluster accordingly, would be very
good. As there are a lot of examples out there, this would be a great
help for people trying to adjust their cluster, as there would be a
starting point for similar examples.

This is in the "adminstration sphere" as you wish, new users could
benefit, it makes cluster set-up painless which would help to improve
the acceptance for the hadoop ecosystem, as you are a nice guy ;) and
use a good licence the official documentation would benefit, and this
would be something great for a resumee.

Best wishes and looking forward to »Krishs hadoop cookbook« ;)

Wilm