hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Arun Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: persisent services in Hadoop
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 05:49:51 GMT
John,

 We are excited to see ISVs like you get value from YARN, and appreciate
the patience you've already shown in the past to work through the teething
issues of YARN & hadoop-2.x.

 W.r.t long-running services, the most straight-forward option is to go
through Apache Slider (http://slider.incubator.apache.org/). Slider has
already made good progress in supporting various long-running services such
as Apache HBase, Apache Accumulo & Apache Storm. I'm very sure the Slider
community would be very welcoming of your use-cases, suggestions etc. -
particularly as they are gearing up to support various applications atop;
and would love your feedback.

 Furthemore, there is work going on in YARN itself to better support your
use case: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-896.
 Again, your feedback there is very, very welcome.

 Also, you might be interested in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-1530 which provides a generic
framework for collecting application metrics for YARN applications.

 Hope that helps.

thanks,
Arun

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net>
wrote:

>  We are an ISV that currently ships a data-quality/integration suite
> running as a native YARN application.  We are finding several use cases
> that would benefit from being able to manage a per-node persistent
> service.  MapReduce has its “shuffle auxiliary service”, but it isn’t
> straightforward to add auxiliary services because they cannot be loaded
> from HDFS, so we’d have to manage the distribution of JARs across nodes
> (please tell me if I’m wrong here…).  Given that, is there a preferred
> method for managing persistent services on a Hadoop cluster?  We could have
> an AM that creates a set of YARN tasks and just waits until YARN gives a
> task on each node, and restart any failed tasks, but it doesn’t really fit
> the AM/container structure very well.  I’ve also read about Slider, which
> looks interesting.  Other ideas?
>
> --john

Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.