hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Force one mapper per machine (not core)?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 08:52:41 GMT
Is your cluster running MR1 or MR2? On MR1, the CapacityScheduler
would allow you to do this if you used appropriate memory based
requests (see http://search-hadoop.com/m/gnFs91yIg1e), and on MR2
(depending on the YARN scheduler resource request limits config) you
can request your job be run with the maximum-most requests that would
soak up all provided resources (of CPU and Memory) of a node such that
only one container runs on a host at any given time.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> I'm running a program which in the streaming layer automatically multithreads and does
so by automatically detecting the number of cores on the machine.  I realize this model is
somewhat in conflict with Hadoop, but nonetheless, that's what I'm doing.  Thus, for even
resource utilization, it would be nice to not only assign one mapper per core, but only one
mapper per machine.  I realize that if I saturate the cluster none of this really matters,
but consider the following example for clarity: 4-core nodes, 10-node cluster, thus 40 slots,
fully configured across mappers and reducers (40 slots of each).  Say I run this program with
just two mappers.  It would run much more efficiently (in essentially half the time) if I
could force the two mappers to go to slots on two separate machines instead of running the
risk that Hadoop may assign them both to the same machine.

> Can this be done?
>
> Thanks.

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be
> self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to
> be blindly and impotently happy."
>                                            --  Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland

Harsh J