hadoop-user mailing list archives

From java8964 <java8...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Why other process can't see the change after calling hdfsHFlush unless hdfsCloseFile is called?
Date Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:13:56 GMT
I don't think in HDFS, a file can be written concurrently. Process B won't be able to write
the file (But can read) until it is CLOSED by process A.
Yong

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 15:55:00 +0800
Subject: Re: Why other process can't see the change after calling hdfsHFlush unless hdfsCloseFile
is called?
From: xiaobinshe@gmail.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

To Peyman,

thank you for your reply.

So the property of the file is stored in namenode, and it will not be updated until the file
is closed.

But isn't this will cause some problem ?

For example,
1. process A open the file in write mode, wirte 1MB data, flush the data, and hold the file
handler opened
2. process B open the file in write mode, wirte 1MB data, flush the data
3. process B close the file, at this point, the other process should be able to see the new
lenght of the file

4. process C open the file in read mode, get the length of the file, and read length bytes
of data

So at this point, the last 1MB data that process C was read is written by process A ? Am I
right ?
If this is right, then process C read one more 1MB data because process B close the file,
but it read the data which is written by process A.

this seems a little wired.