hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Forrest Aldrich <for...@gmail.com>
Subject Setting the HADOOP_HOME_DIR
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2013 19:20:35 GMT
We have a home-grown Hadoop installation that I am primarily responsible
for.   I've managed to get new nodes rolled out, it takes time as we
have other dependencies.   One item I've not been able figure out is
where to set the HADOOP_HOME_DIR variable, so I can store the actual
configuration for each node separate from the binary tree.

Can anyone point me to where this gets set properly?   We have an init.d
script that starts the services on the master, which calls out to the
slaves (as user "hadoop") -- but I'm guessing the variable can be
started there, exported and inherited -- but perhaps it may be more
proper to set in ~hadoop/conf/hadoop-env.sh.

The idea is to enable me to more easily roll out slaves, perhaps using
Puppet, so that the CONF and LOGS directories are separate -- it's
easier to manage that way.

Thanks.