hadoop-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: worker affinity and YARN scheduling
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:50:25 GMT
Thanks!
john

From: Arun C Murthy [mailto:acm@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 7:25 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: worker affinity and YARN scheduling

On Nov 11, 2013, at 6:28 AM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net>>
wrote:

I would like to better understand YARN's scheduling with named workers and relaxedLocality==true.
 For example, suppose that I have a three-node cluster with nodes A,B,C.  Each node has capacity
to run two tasks of the kind I desire simultaneously.  My AM then requests nine containers
with worker-name set so that I am requesting three containers per worker.  The cluster starts
idle and has no other users.  My questions:
*         Is it optimal to issue three ResourceRequests, each with numContainers==3?   (As
opposed to nine requests)

Correct, that is why the resource protocol is designed as it is i.e. reduce #requests required.

*         Initially, I expect the RM to allocate two containers per node, and I expect to
have the containers match the named workers.  Is this always the case?

Generally - yes. It does depend on the scheduler implementation though.

*         If the first task completes on worker "B", can I rely on the ResourceRequest for
"B" to be fulfilled next?

Generally - yes.

*         What techniques should be used to get the containers on the workers I expect most
often?

Nothing special, you could use relaxLocality = false if you really want it on a specific node/rack.

*         What techniques should be used to reduce container allocation latency, if possible?

Typically, latency is very small - there are some ongoing enhancements to make it better.

hth,
Arun

Thanks
John