hadoop-user mailing list archives

From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: Hadoop 2.x with Eclipse
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 13:14:00 GMT
Karim,

I am not an experienced Hadoop programmer, but what I found was that building and debugging
Hadoop under Eclipse was very difficult, and I was never to make it work correctly.  I suggest
using the well documented command-line Maven build, installing Hadoop from that build, and
running it normally.  Once you have that working, run your namemode or datanode daemon so
as to wait for a remote debugger attach before starting.  You should also get comfortable
with log4j, the logging framework used by Hadoop, as those log files are often your best friend
when trying to debug a collection of services.

john

From: Karim Awara [mailto:karim.awara@kaust.edu.sa]
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2013 5:41 AM
To: user
Subject: Hadoop 2.x with Eclipse

Hi,
I followed the instructions on how to import hadoop files to Eclipse (I am using hadoop 2.1
beta).
Currently on my machine, I have hadoop 2.1 installed.. and its source code is imported on
Eclipse. What I can't grasp is   how to proceed from there?
I want to modify HDFS code (blockplacement strategy).. Now building hdfs project via generates
errors to me (unresolved types in hadoop common).  and if i built successfully, how to test
my modified code?

--
Best Regards,
Karim Ahmed Awara

This message and its contents, including attachments are intended solely for the original
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please
notify me immediately and delete this message from your computer system. Any unauthorized
use or distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before printing this email.