hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Baskar Duraikannu <baskar.duraika...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Multidata center support
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 16:46:55 GMT
Currently there is no relation betweeen weak consistency and hadoop. I just spent more time
thinking about the requirement (as outlined below)     a) Maintain total of 3 data centers
    b) Maintain 1 copy per data center     c) If any data center goes down, dont create additional
copies.
Above is not a valid model, especially requirement (c).  Because this will take away "Strong
Consistency" model supported by Hadoop. Hope this explains.
I believe we can give up on requirement (c). I more currently exploring to see whether anyway
to achieve (a) and (b). Requirement (b) can also be relaxed to have more copies per data center
if needed
From: rahul.rec.dgp@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 10:04:49 +0530
Subject: Re: Multidata center support
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Under replicated blocks are also consistent from a consumers point. Care of explain the relation
to weak consistency to hadoop.

Thanks,
Rahul

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Rahul Bhattacharjee <rahul.rec.dgp@gmail.com> wrote:

Adam's response makes more sense to me to offline replicate generated data from one cluster
to another across data centers.

Not sure if configurable block placement block placement policy is supported in Hadoop.If
yes , then alone side with rack awareness , you should be able to achieve the same.

I could not follow your question related to weak consistency.

Thanks,
Rahul