hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Baskar Duraikannu <baskar.duraika...@outlook.com>
Subject RE: Multidata center support
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 16:53:36 GMT
Thanks Mike. I am assuming that it is a poor idea due to network bandwidth constraints across
data center (backplane speed of TOR is typically greater than data center connectivity).
From: michael_segel@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Multidata center support
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:15:08 -0500
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Sorry, its a poor idea period.
Its one thing for something like Cleversafe to span a data center, but you're also having
unit of work in terms of map/reduce.
Think about all of the bad things that can happen when you have to deal with a sort/shuffle
stage across data centers... (Its not a pretty sight.)
As Adam points out... DR and copies across data centers are one thing. Running a single cluster
spanning data centers...
I would hate to be you when you have to face your devOps team. Does the expression BOFH ring
a bell? ;-)
HTH
-Mike
On Aug 30, 2013, at 5:26 AM, Adam Muise <amuise@hortonworks.com> wrote:Nothing has changed.
DR best practice is still one (or more) clusters per site and replication is handled via distributed
copy or some variation of it. A cluster spanning multiple data centers is a poor idea right
now.