hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lukavsk√Ĺ <jan.lukav...@firma.seznam.cz>
Subject Re: M/R API and Writable semantics in reducer
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2013 08:28:10 GMT
Hi,

is there anyone interested in this topic? Basically, what I'm trying to
find out is, whether it is 'safe' to rely on the side-effect of updating
key during iterating values. I believe that there must be someone who is
also interested in this, the secondary sort pattern is very common (at
least in our jobs). So far, we have been emulating the
GroupingComparator by holding state in the Reducer class and therefore
being able to keep track of 'groups' of keys among several calls to
reduce() method. This method seems quite safe in the sense of API, but
in the sense of code is not as pretty (and vulnerable to ugly bugs if
you forget to reset the state correctly for instance).

On the other hand, if the way key gets updated while iterating the
values is to be considered contract of the MapReduce API, I think it
should be implemented in MRUnit (or you basically cannot use MRUnit to
unittest your job) and if it isn't, than it is probably a bug. If this
is internal behavior and might be subject to change anytime, than it
clearly seems that keeping the state in Reducer is the only option.

Does anyone else have similar considerations? How do others implement
the secondary sort?

Thanks,
  Jan