hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Abhijit Sarkar <abhijit.sar...@gmail.com>
Subject There are no dumb questions
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 23:28:44 GMT
During the time I've been on this mailing list, which is not long, I've
seen some very complex questions and some, lets just say, not so complex
ones. IMHO, when a question is sent to a large mailing group like this, the
author should demonstrate some reasonable troubleshooting effort. It'd be
nice to see what've they done before they sent out an email to hundreds, if
not thousands, of people. This, as we all know, is a purely volunteered
group. The folks on this list seem to be very helpful and I've not seen
them coming down hard on anyone. However, from my experience with some
major Internet forums, Oracle, JavaRanch or Spring Framework forums for
example, it is only a matter of time before the experts find themselves in
a pile of questions and wouldn't be able to help those that really need
answers.
What do you think?