hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <tdunn...@maprtech.com>
Subject Re: Hardware Selection for Hadoop
Date Sun, 05 May 2013 18:47:31 GMT
Data nodes normally are also task nodes.  With 8 physical cores it isn't
that unreasonable to have 64GB whereas 24GB really is going to pinch.

Achieving highest performance requires that you match the capabilities of
your nodes including CPU, memory, disk and networking.  The standard wisdom
is 4-6GB of RAM per core, at least a spindle per core and 1/2 to 2/3 of
disk bandwidth available as network bandwidth.

If you look at the different configurations mentioned in this thread, you
will see different limitations.

For instance:

2 x Quad cores Intel
> 2-3 TB x 6 SATA         <==== 6 disk < desired 8 or more
> 64GB mem                <==== slightly larger than necessary
> 2 1GBe NICs teaming     <==== 2 x 100 MB << 400MB = 2/3 x 6 x 100MB

This configuration is mostly limited by networking bandwidth

2 x Quad cores Intel
> 2-3 TB x 6 SATA         <==== 6 disk < desired 8 or more
> 24GB mem                <==== 24GB << 8 x 6GB
> 2 10GBe NICs teaming    <==== 2 x 1000 MB > 400MB = 2/3 x 6 x 100MB

This configuration is weak on disk relative to CPU and very weak on disk
relative to network speed.  The worst problem, however, is likely to be
small memory.  This will likely require us to decrease the number of slots
by half or more making it impossible to even use the 6 disks that we have
and making the network even more outrageously over-provisioned.

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Rahul Bhattacharjee <rahul.rec.dgp@gmail.com