hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Tariq <donta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop noob question
Date Sat, 11 May 2013 16:03:34 GMT
Sorry for barging in guys. I think Nitin is talking about this :

Every file and block in HDFS is treated as an object and for each object
around 200B of metadata get created. So the NN should be powerful enough to
handle that much metadata, since it is going to be in-memory. Actually
memory is the most important metric when it comes to NN.

Am I correct @Nitin?

@Thoihen : As Nitin has said, when you talk about that much data you don't
actually just do a "put". You could use something like "distcp" for
parallel copying. A better approach would be to use a data aggregation tool
like Flume or Chukwa, as Nitin has already pointed. Facebook uses their own
data aggregation tool, called Scribe for this purpose.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com