hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "David Parks" <davidpark...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Uploading file to HDFS
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:42:36 GMT
I just realized another trick you might trying. The Hadoop dfs client can
read input from STDIN, you could use netcat to pipe the stuff across to HDFS
without hitting the hard drive, I haven’t tried it, but here’s what I
would think might work:

On the Hadoop box, open a listening port and feed that to the HDFS command:

nc -l 2342 | hdfs dfs -copyFromLocal - /tmp/x.txt

On the remote server:

cat my_big_2tb_file > nc 10.1.1.1 2342

I haven’t tried it yet, but in theory this would work. I just happened to
test out the hdfs dfs command reading from stdin. You might have to correct
the above syntax, I just wrote it off the top of my head.

Dave