The reason why the reducer is fast upto 66% is be because of the Sorting and Shuffling phase of the reduce and when the actual task is NOT yet started.

The reduce side is divided into 3 phases of 33~% each -> shuffle (fetch data), sort and finally user-code (reduce). That is why your reduce might be faster upto 66%. In order to speed up your program you may either have to have more number of reducers or make your reducer code as optimized as possible.

Best,
Mahesh Balija,
Calsoft Labs.