hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Bertrand Dechoux <decho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue: Namenode is in safe mode
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:02:59 GMT
How was the namenode A relieved of its duty and what was the default
replication factor?

If the replication factor was 1 and the datanode A was unplugged without
any care then you lost half of your files and your namenode is not really
happy about it (and is waiting for you to correct the mistake or let it
slip explicitely).

Regards

Bertrand

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM, AMARNATH, Balachandar <
BALACHANDAR.AMARNATH@airbus.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a hadoop cluster with two nodes (A and B). ‘A’ act both as
> namenode and datanode, and ‘B’ act as datanode only. With this setup, I
> could store, read files. Now, I added one more datanode ‘C’ and relieved
> ‘A’ from datanode duty. This means, ‘A’ act only as namenode, and both B
> and C act as datanodes. Now, I tried to create a directory, it says
>
> ‘ org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.SafeModeException: Cannot create
> directory Name node is in safe mode’
>

> Can someone tell me why the namenode now is in safe mode?
>
> With thanks and regards
> Balachandar
>

> The information in this e-mail is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or
used by anyone other than the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Airbus immediately and delete this
e-mail.
> Airbus cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this e-mail
as it has been sent over public networks. If you have any concerns over the content of this
message or its Accuracy or Integrity, please contact Airbus immediately.
> All outgoing e-mails from Airbus are checked using regularly updated virus scanning software
but you should take whatever measures you deem to be appropriate to ensure that this message
and any attachments are virus free.