hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: hadoop pipes or java with jni?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 02:04:06 GMT
I'm partial to using Java and JNI and then use the distributed cache to push the native libraries
out to each node if not already there.

But that's just me... ;-)

HTH

-Mike

On Mar 3, 2013, at 6:02 PM, Julian Bui <julianbui@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi hadoop users,
>
> Trying to figure out which interface would be best and easiest to implement my application
: 1) hadoop pipes or 2) java with jni or 3) something else that I'm not aware of yet, as a
hadoop newbie.

> I will use hadoop to take pictures as input and create output jpeg pictures as output.
 I do not think I need a reducer.

> Requirements:
> I want to use libjpeg.a (a native static library) in my hadoop application.  If I use
hadoop pipes, I should be able to statically link the libjpeg.a into my hadoop application.
 If I use the java hadoop interface with jni, I think I have to ship the libjpeg.a library
with my hadoop jobs, is that right?  Is that easy?
> I need to be able to write uniquely named files into hdfs (i.e. I need to name the files
so that I know which inputs they were created from).  If I recall, the hadoop streaming interface
doesn't let you do this because it only deals with stdin/stdout - does hadoop pipes have a
similar constraint?  Will it allow me to write uniquely named files?
> I need to be able to exploit the locality of the data.  The application should be executed
on the same machine as the input data (pictures).  Does the hadoop pipes interface allow me
to do this?

class.  Is this really it or is there more? http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/pipes/package-summary.html
> I'm not really familiar with swig which is to be used with pipes.   All I could really
find was the same simple word count example on every site.  Does swig get difficult to use
for more complex projects?