hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "AMARNATH, Balachandar" <BALACHANDAR.AMARN...@airbus.com>
Subject RE: Issue: Namenode is in safe mode
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 10:29:14 GMT
The repliation factor was 1 when I removed the entry of A in slaves file. I did not mark it
retirement. I do not know yet how to mark a node for retirement. I waited for few minutes
and then I could see thte namenode running again

From: Nitin Pawar [mailto:nitinpawar432@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 March 2013 15:31
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Issue: Namenode is in safe mode

what is your replication factor?
when you removed node A as datanode .. did you first mark it for retirement? if you just removed
it from service then the blocks from that datanode are missing and namenode when starts up
it checks for the blocks. Unless it reaches its threshold value it will not let you write
any more data on your hdfs.

I will suggest to start datanode on A, then mark it for retirement so namenode will move the
blocks to new datanode and once it is done namenode will retire that datanode.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM, AMARNATH, Balachandar <BALACHANDAR.AMARNATH@airbus.com<mailto:BALACHANDAR.AMARNATH@airbus.com>>