HADOOP_HOME is the directory where you installed hadoop

a directory above your conf directory (in other words parent directory of conf)

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Andrey V. Romanchev <andrey.romanchev@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Samir
Yes. Here is full section from my hdfs-site.xml

        Determines where on the local filesystem the DFS name node
        should store the name table.  If this is a comma-delimited list
        of directories then the name table is replicated in all of the
        directories, for redundancy.