hadoop-user mailing list archives

From José Feiteirinha...@feiteira.org>
Subject Newbie: HBase good for Tree like structure?
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:56:44 GMT
Dear all,

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I'm currently in the starting stages of developing a software that may
'explode' in terms of users and data. I'm considering a very basic
tree-like data-structure and would like to know your thoughts regarding
HBase/Hadoop.

My reason is that I would like to be prepared from the get-go for large
data.

My structure is planned as such:

   - The data be nodes of a huge multidimensional tree.
   - I'm planning on having each row containing the full node path, e.g.
   "root.grandparentX.parentY.babyZ" (or ? "babyZ.parentY.grandparentX.root" )
   - However in terms of data per node, it should be pretty much static.

While this is a very simple structure, it does seem to be beneficial to use
HBase / Hadoop just for the scalability alone. I also understood that if I
get to billions of rows, only an HBase like approach can sustain me?

My idea is to start with a simple standalone server and then expand the
cluster as the load & data grow.

If you may,
I would like your thoughts, mostly regarding weather I'm using an Hammer to
kill Ants, my proposed data-structure or any other advice you may have.

Kind regards,
José

--
José Feiteirinha