hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Chris Embree <cemb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mutiple dfs.data.dir vs RAID0
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 02:22:08 GMT
Interesting question.  You'd probably need to benchmark to prove it out.

I'm not the exact details of how HDFS stripes data, but it should compare
pretty well to hardware RAID.

Conceptually, HDFS should be able to out perform a RAID solution, since
HDFS "knows" more about the data being written.  One of the benefits of
HDFS is being able to buy cheaper hardware and still getting good
performance.

We bought cheap DL165's for our datanodes.  4x 2TB Drives with no RAID.