hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Charles Earl <charles.ce...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:40:03 GMT
Is this in any way related to GatewayFS?
I am also curious whether any one knows of plans to incorporate homomorphic encryption or
secure multiparty into the rhino effort.
On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Nitin Pawar wrote:

> I am not sure if you guys have heard it or not
>
> HortonWorks is in process to incubate a new apache project called Knox for hadoop security.

> More on this you can look at
>
> http://hortonworks.com/blog/introducing-knox-hadoop-security/
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/knox
>

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Thomas Nguy <thomas.nguy@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Thank you very much Panshul, I'll take a look.
>
> Thomas.
>
> De : Panshul Whisper <ouchwhisper@gmail.com>
> À : user@hadoop.apache.org; Thomas Nguy <thomas.nguy@yahoo.fr>
> Envoyé le : Mercredi 27 février 2013 13h53
> Objet : Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"
>
> Hello Thomas,
>
> you can look into this project. This is exactly what you are doing, but at a larger scale.

> https://github.com/intel-hadoop/project-rhino/
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Regards,
> Panshul
>

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Thomas Nguy <thomas.nguy@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hello developers !
>
> I'm a student at the french university "Ensimag" and currently doing my master research
on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I chose for subject : "Secure hadoop
cluster inter-cloud environment".
> My idea is to develop a framework in order to improve the security of the Hadoop cluster
running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking the "Hadoop research projects"
proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following subject fits with mine:

> "Hadoop Security Design:
> 	An end-to-end proposal for how to support authentication and client side data encryption/decryption,
so that large data sets can be stored in a public HDFS and only jobs launched by authenticated
users can map-reduce or browse the data"

> I would like to know if there are already some developers on it so we can discuss...
To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and cloud cumputing so if would be really
great if you had some advices or hints for my research.