hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Marcin Mejran <marcin.mej...@hooklogic.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 04:27:35 GMT
That won't stop a bad job (say a fork bomb or a massive memory leak in a streaming script)
from taking out a node which is what I believe Dhanasekaran was asking about. He wants to
physically isolate certain lobs to certain "non critical" nodes. I don't believe this is possible
and data would be spread to those nodes, assuming they're data nodes, which would still cause
cluster wide issues (and if data is isolate why not have two separate clusters?),

I've read references in the docs about some type of memory based contrains in Hadoop but I
don't know of the details. Anyone know how they work?

Also, I believe there are tools in Linux that can kill processes in case of memory issues
and otherwise restrict what a certain user can do. These seem like a more flexible solution
although they won't cover all potential issues.

-Marcin

On Feb 25, 2013, at 7:20 PM, "Arun C Murthy" <acm@hortonworks.com<mailto:acm@hortonworks.com>>