hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: “hadoop namenode -format” formats wrong directory
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:07:13 GMT
Try running the command using "hadoop --config /etc/hadoop/conf" to make sure it is looking
at the right conf dir.

It would help to understand how you installed hadoop - local build/rpm, etc .. to figure out
which config dir is being looked at by default.

-- Hitesh

On Feb 6, 2013, at 7:25 AM, Andrey V. Romanchev wrote:

> Hello Samir
> Yes. Here is full section from my hdfs-site.xml
>
>   <property>
>     <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
>     <value>/mnt/ext/hadoop/hdfs/namenode</value>
>     <description>
>         Determines where on the local filesystem the DFS name node
>         should store the name table.  If this is a comma-delimited list
>         of directories then the name table is replicated in all of the
>         directories, for redundancy.
>     </description>
>     <final>true</final>
>   </property>
>

> 2013/2/6 Samir Ahmic <ahmic.samir@gmail.com>
> Hi, Andrey
>
> Did you try <final>true</final> in your config ? It should be like this:
>
> <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
> <value>/mnt/ext/hadoop/hdfs/namenode</value>
> <final>true</final>
>
> Cheers
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Andrey V. Romanchev
> <andrey.romanchev@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm trying to install Hadoop 1.1.2.21 on CentOS 6.3.
> >
> > I've configured dfs.name.dir in /etc/hadoop/conf/hdfs-site.xml file
> >
> > <name>dfs.name.dir</name>
> > <value>/mnt/ext/hadoop/hdfs/namenode</value>
> >
> > But when I run "hadoop namenode -format" command, it formats /tmp/hadoop-hadoop/dfs/name
directory instead. It seems like default directory.