hadoop-user mailing list archives

From "Liu, Raymond" <raymond....@intel.com>
Subject why my test result on dfs short circuit read is slower?
Date Sat, 16 Feb 2013 03:10:14 GMT
Hi

	I tried to use short circuit read to improve my hbase cluster MR scan performance.

	I have the following setting in hdfs-site.xml

	dfs.client.read.shortcircuit set to true
	dfs.block.local-path-access.user set to MR job runner.

	The cluster is 1+4 node and each data node have 16cpu/4HDD, with all hbase table major compact
thus all data is local.
	I have hoped that the short circuit read will improve the performance.

	While the test result is that with short circuit read enabled, the performance actually dropped
10-15%. Say scan a 50G table cost around 100s instead of 90s.

	My hadoop version is 1.1.1, any idea on this? Thx!

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu