hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Charles Earl <charlesce...@me.com>
Subject Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:09:15 GMT
Thomas,
Interesting distinctions articulated, thanks.
I knew of an effort called GarewayFS that had inter-cluster secure federation as one goal,
there are some similarities to Knox.

On Feb 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Larry McCay <lmccay@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas -
>
> I think that you need articulate the problems that you want to solve for your university
environment.
> The subject that you chose indicates "inter-cloud environment" - so depending on the
inter-cloud problems that currently exist for your environment there may be interesting work
from the Rhino effort or with Knox.

> It seems that you are leaning toward data protection and encryption as a solution to
some problem within your stated problem subject.
> I'd be interested in the usecase that you are addressing with it that is "inter-cloud".
> Another family of issues that would be interesting in the inter-cloud space would be
various identity federation issues across clouds.

> @Charles - by GatewayFS do you mean HttpFS and are you asking whether Knox is related
to it?
> If so, Knox is not directly related to HttpFS though it will leverage lessons learned
and hopefully the experience of those involved.
> The Knox gateway is more transparent and committed to serving REST APIs to numerous Hadoop
services rather than just HDFS.
> The pluggable providers of Knox gateway will also facilitate easier integration with
customer's identity infrastructure in on-prem and cloud provider environments.

> Hope that helps to draw the distinction between Knox and HttpFS.
>
> thanks,
>
> --larry
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Charles Earl <charles.cearl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this in any way related to GatewayFS?
>> I am also curious whether any one knows of plans to incorporate homomorphic encryption
or secure multiparty into the rhino effort.

>> On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Nitin Pawar wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure if you guys have heard it or not
>>>
>>> HortonWorks is in process to incubate a new apache project called Knox for hadoop
security.
>>> More on this you can look at
>>>
>>> http://hortonworks.com/blog/introducing-knox-hadoop-security/
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/knox

research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I chose for subject : "Secure
hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking the "Hadoop research
projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following subject fits with mine:

data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a public HDFS and only
jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or browse the data"

discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and cloud cumputing so if
would be really great if you had some advices or hints for my research.