hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Nguy <thomas.n...@yahoo.fr>
Subject Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 02:00:06 GMT
Thank you everyone for your answer. It gives me a lot of paths for reflection.

Thanks Larry, I'll have to dig more about the "inter-cloud" system my uni is using.

Thomas

________________________________
 De : Charles Earl <charlescearl@me.com>
À : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc : "user@hadoop.apache.org" <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Envoyé le : Mercredi 27 février 2013 16h09
Objet : Re: Work on research project "Hadoop Security Design"

Thomas,
Interesting distinctions articulated, thanks.
I knew of an effort called GarewayFS that had inter-cluster secure federation as one goal,
there are some similarities to Knox.

On Feb 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Larry McCay <lmccay@hortonworks.com> wrote:

Hi Thomas -

>I think that you need articulate the problems that you want to solve for your university
environment.
>The subject that you chose indicates "inter-cloud environment" - so depending on the inter-cloud
problems that currently exist for your environment there may be interesting work from the
Rhino effort or with Knox.

>It seems that you are leaning toward data protection and encryption as a solution to some
problem within your stated problem subject.
>I'd be interested in the usecase that you are addressing with it that is "inter-cloud".
>Another family of issues that would be interesting in the inter-cloud space would be various
identity federation issues across clouds.

>@Charles - by GatewayFS do you mean HttpFS and are you asking whether Knox is related
to it?
>If so, Knox is not directly related to HttpFS though it will leverage lessons learned
and hopefully the experience of those involved.
>The Knox gateway is more transparent and committed to serving REST APIs to numerous Hadoop
services rather than just HDFS.
>The pluggable providers of Knox gateway will also facilitate easier integration with customer's
identity infrastructure in on-prem and cloud provider environments.

>Hope that helps to draw the distinction between Knox and HttpFS.
>
>thanks,
>

>--larry
>

>On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Charles Earl <charles.cearl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Is this in any way related to GatewayFS?
>>I am also curious whether any one knows of plans to incorporate homomorphic encryption
or secure multiparty into the rhino effort.

>>On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:30 AM, Nitin Pawar wrote:
>>
>>I am not sure if you guys have heard it or not
>>>

>>>HortonWorks is in process to incubate a new apache project called Knox for hadoop
security.
>>>More on this you can look at
>>>

>>>http://hortonworks.com/blog/introducing-knox-hadoop-security/
>>>

>>>http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/knox
>>>

>>>On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Thomas Nguy <thomas.nguy@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>>Thank you very much Panshul, I'll take a look.

master research on "Software security". Interested by cloud computing, I chose for subject
: "Secure hadoop cluster inter-cloud environment".
the Hadoop cluster running on the cloud of my uni. I have started by checking the "Hadoop
research projects" proposed  on Hadoop Wiki and the following subject fits with mine:

data encryption/decryption, so that large data sets can be stored in a public HDFS and only
jobs launched by authenticated users can map-reduce or browse the data"

can discuss... To be honest, I'm kinda a "beginner" regarding Hadoop and cloud cumputing
so if would be really great if you had some advices or hints for my research.