hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Sofia Georgiakaki <geosofie_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: product recommendations engine
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:00:06 GMT
Hello Douglass,

you could take a look at Mahout and Myrrix projects. These are two projects thatprovide implementations
of recommendation & machine learning algorithms. There are MapReduce implementations as
well, to support massive datasets.
In addition, these systems provide client APIs/various integration points, so its easy to
integrate them to your system.

Regards,
Sofia

>________________________________

I am a software engineer, however, after looking at the docs, Hadoop still seems pretty intimidating
to set up.

>I am interested in doing product recommendations.  However, I want to store many things
about user behavior, for example whether they click on a link in an email, how they rate a
product, whether they buy it, etc.  Then I would like to come up with similar items that
a user may like.  I have seen an example just based on user ratings, but would like to add
much more data.

>Also, I think the clustering could be used in terms of recommending based on similar descriptions,
attributes, and keywords.

>Or, I could use a combination of the two approaches.
>
>Another question, I wonder if Hadoop takes into account the passage of time.  For example,
a user may rate something high, then change their rating a couple months later.

>Lastly, my site is based on PHP.  I need to be able to integrate that with Hadoop.
>
>How feasible is this approach?  I saw a clustering example, and a recommendation example
based on user ratings.  Are there any other advice, docs, or examples that you could point
me to that deals with any of these issues?