hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Buell <jbu...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2013 21:37:17 GMT
This is one reason to consider virtualizing Hadoop clusters. The idea is to create multiple
virtual clusters on a single physical cluster and apply various kinds of resource controls
(CPU, memory, I/O) on the virtual machines that make up each virtual cluster. Then if any
application or VM within a virtual cluster crashes, hangs, or tries to hog resources, the
other virtual clusters will be unaffected. Multi-tenancy is also enabled since the isolation
between virtual clusters is secure.

Jeff

----- Original Message -----

From: "Hemanth Yamijala" <yhemanth@thoughtworks.com>
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:51:04 AM
Subject: Re: Hadoop efficient resource isolation

Supporting a multiuser scenario like this is always hard under Hadoop. There are a few configuration
knobs that offer some administrative control and protection.

Specifically for the problem you describe, you could probably set Mapreduce.{map|reduce}.child.ulimit
on the tasktrackers, so that any job that is exceeding these limits will be killed. Of course,
a side effect of this would be that jobs would be bound by some limits even if they legitimately
require more memory.

But you could try starting with this.

Thanks
Hemanth