hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Preethi Vinayak Ponangi <vinayakpona...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Difference between HDFS and local filesystem
Date Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:46:58 GMT
Yes. It's possible to use your local file system instead of HDFS. As you
said, doesn't really matter when you are running a pseudo-distributed
cluster. This is generally fine if your dataset is fairly small. The place
where HDFS access really shines is if your file is huge, generally several
TB or PB. That is when individual mappers can access different partitioned
data on different nodes improving performance.

In a fully distributed mode, your data gets partitioned and gets stored on
several different nodes on HDFS.
But when you use local data, the data is not replication or partitioned,
it's just like accessing a single file.