hadoop-user mailing list archives

From Andy Isaacson <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Dell Hardware
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:13:29 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Artem Ervits <are9004@nyp.org> wrote:
> Does anyone run Hadoop on Dell R720 model of servers? Dell site lists C2100
> model of servers as best fit for Hadoop workloads. What does community
> recommend?

The R720 supports up to 2 xeon CPUs and 8 drives in 2U. If configured
appropriately it will work fine as a Hadoop node. For example, 2x
Xeon, 64GB RAM, 8x 2TB SATA configured as JBOD, would be a reasonable
worker node. Buy 20 of those and now you're cooking with gas. :)

The C2100 is probably somewhat cheaper for a given storage amount
since it fits 12 disks in a 2U chassis (so you don't need to buy as
many machines to achieve a given amount of capacity). Dell doesn't
provide a configurator for that model so I can't compare prices.
Apparently it's using the previous generation of Xeon -- 5500/5600
versus e5 on the R720 -- which probably means poorer throughput per
watt.

The right answer will depend on your application and workload.

-andy