Hi
There is a good description of this problem in Hadop the Definitive Guide book by Tom White. There is also priorities as what format to choose in terms of compression, splitability, etc.
Also these articles can be helpful:
https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDHDOC/Avro+Usage
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2011/07/avro-data-interop/

Ruslan