From: Peter Cogan <peter.cogan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 14:06:41 +0000
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org>
ReplyTo: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Problem using distributed cache

any thoughts on this would be much appreciated

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Peter Cogan <peter.cogan@gmail.com> wrote:

It's an instance created at the start of the program like this:

Job job = new Job(conf, "wordcount");

DistributedCache.addCacheFile(new URI("/user/peter/cacheFile/testCache1"), conf);

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
What is your conf object there? Is it job.getConfiguration() or an
independent instance?

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Peter Cogan <peter.cogan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
> I want to use the distributed cache to allow my mappers to access data. In
> main, I'm using the command
> DistributedCache.addCacheFile(new URI("/user/peter/cacheFile/testCache1"),
> conf);
> Where /user/peter/cacheFile/testCache1 is a file that exists in hdfs
> Then, my setup function looks like this:
> public void setup(Context context) throws IOException, InterruptedException{
>     Configuration conf = context.getConfiguration();
>     Path[] localFiles = DistributedCache.getLocalCacheFiles(conf);
>     //etc
> }
> However, this localFiles array is always null.
> I was initially running on a single-host cluster for testing, but I read
> that this will prevent the distributed cache from working. I tried with a
> pseudo-distributed, but that didn't work either
> I'm using hadoop 1.0.3
> thanks Peter

Harsh J